gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] ntpd no time update without internet connection

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] ntpd no time update without internet connection
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2019 14:18:56 -0700

Yo Massimiliano!

On Thu, 8 Aug 2019 23:10:26 +0200
Massimiliano Fago <address@hidden> wrote:

> thank you for your support.
>
> I think that I have some problem with gpsd.

Always.  :-)

> The service are correctly running:

systemd is NOT part of gpsd.  It is often the cause of pain for users.

> gpsd.service - GPS (Global Positioning System) Daemon
>    Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/gpsd.service; enabled; vendor
> preset: ena
>    Active: active (running) since Thu 2019-08-08 22:28:21 CEST; 2min
> 5s ago Process: 376 ExecStart=/usr/local/sbin/gpsd $GPSD_OPTIONS
> $OPTIONS $DEVICES (c
>  Main PID: 381 (gpsd)
>     Tasks: 3 (limit: 2200)
>    Memory: 1.7M
>    CGroup: /system.slice/gpsd.service
>            ______381 /usr/local/sbin/gpsd -n /dev/ttyAMA0 /dev/pps0

So your GNSS is on /dev/ttyAMA0, the RasPi serial port?

What is your GNSS receiver model?

> > You have no PPS or Serial time in.
> >

> I see no data with ntpshmmon command, but I see pps with ppstest
> command:

gpsd does not pass on SHM(1), the pps, unless SHM(0) is also reporting time.

> when I try to execute gpsmon it not connect to gpsd.

That means your running gpsd is NOT running.

gpsmon is not well supported, always try cgps first.

Can you verify the dameon is running this way:

    # pstree -paul | fgrep gpsd

Please try again w/o sysemd.  We do not support systemd.

> All this is very strange because it working fine some days ago.

Shit happens...

> Tomorrow I try with internet connection on raspberry.

I doubt that matters.

> The only change that I have make on raspberry is the wlan0
> configuration like a AP for remote terminal connection.

So you think.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588