gpsd-users

U-Blox F9P RTK

From: rhowitt
Subject: U-Blox F9P RTK
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2020 13:10:31 -0400

Gary,

I have done further testing of GPSD and the F9P on the RaspberryPi

After starting GPSD with this string from the command line:
            gpsd -n /dev/ttyAMA0
ntrip://rhowitt:rhowitt@64.201.232.84:2101/UPFN -N -D 8
The F9P was not reporting RTK .

I  then interrogated CFG-UART1INPROT-RTCM3X   with  ( after reading the
documentation, this seemed like the place to start and luckily it was the
right guess.)
           ubxtool -g CFG-UART1INPROT-RTCM3X  localhost:2947:/dev/ttyAMA0

the value was:    0

Then using this command, which set the register to 1 :
           ubxtool -z CFG-UART1INPROT-RTCM3X,1 localhost:2947:/dev/ttyAMA0

The GPS started to  report that it had RTK Quality

I then set the register CFG-UART1INPROT-RTCM3X, back to 0 , and the GPS no
longer had RTK Quality.

It appears that when GPSD starts and goes through it's initialization
process, which includes several queries to the F9P, the
CFG-UART1INPROT-RTCM3X   register is getting set to 0 (zero), which turns
off RTK.

I'm guessing that GPSD is somehow, directly or some of the queries, which
are really meant for other types of gps , are being interpreted by the F9P,
setting the CFG-UART1INPROT-RTCM3X   to Zero.  I know this IS occurring
because if, while GPSD is running, I turn the power off to the GPS and then
turn the GPS back on,  the CFG-UART1INPROT-RTCM3X   register has a value of
1 ,  where just before the power was turned off the value was 0.

I tried the -b command for GPSD. The RTCM3 messages were not  passed to the
F9P. I know they were not being sent because I monitored the data lines with
the data analyzer.

So for now, in order to get the F9P into the mode where it can report RTK
quality , I will run the ubxtool -z CFG-UART1INPROT-RTCM3X,1
localhost:2947:/dev/ttyAMA0, after starting GPSD.

Regards
Rick Howitt