gpsd-users

Re: Opening port for remote access to gpsd

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: Opening port for remote access to gpsd
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2020 12:07:30 -0700

Yo S. Joshua!

On Mon, 27 Jul 2020 12:30:59 +0000
"Stein, S. Joshua" <josh@anl.gov> wrote:

> I misspoke last week when I outlined using pip to install gpsd - that
> was incorrect. I used apt-get to do the installation.

Pretty important detail to get wrong.  Details matter.

> In any event, I undid my installation (apt-get remove) and attempted
> to install a fresh copy of gpsd as suggested in the doc:
> https://gpsd.io/index.html#downloads

A good start.

> Specifically using apt-get as suggested ("If you are using a
> Debian-based distribution (including Ubuntu) you can probably install
> gpsd through your regular package manager or by typing "sudo apt-get
> install gpsd" at the command line.")
>
> This - unfortunately - seems to be pulling version 3.17:

Uh, which distro?  Details matter.

Yup.  Please file a bug with them over their slothness at updates.

> root@raspberrypi:/home/pi# apt-get update
> Hit:1 http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian buster InRelease
> Hit:2 http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian buster InRelease

Ah, Raspbian (Buster).

> Suggested packages:
>   gpsd-clients

You need that as well.  For some reason they split gpsd in two.

> As it appears this version is many years old, I am guessing my
> apt-get configuration is not proper.

Nope.  The problem is upstream.  Please file a bug with them.

Most people eventually give up and install gpsd from git or tarball.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588