gpsd-users

Re: Getting timeout error while reading data.

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: Getting timeout error while reading data.
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 21:37:59 -0700

Yo Bhavna!

On Sun, 17 Jul 2022 09:59:51 +0530
Bhavna Harani <haranibhavna111@gmail.com> wrote:
From: "Gary E. Miller" <gem@rellim.com>
To: Bhavna Harani <haranibhavna111@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 11:49:21 -0700

Yo Bhavna!

On Sat, 16 Jul 2022 18:27:27 +0530
Bhavna Harani <haranibhavna111@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I am giving data dynamically to gpsd over udp by the below command.
> > gpsd -D 1 -n udp://127.0.0.1:8080
>
> You skipped over some important lot of details.  What version of gpsd?
> What is
> the source for "udp://127.0.0.1:8080"
>
> version: 3.24.1

There is no 3.24.1 yet.  I assume you compiled yourself from git?
`
> source : created client application which write raw NEMA packet at
> 127.0.0.1:8080

What version of NMEA?

Can you share the source?  Or some of its output?

> > every 1 second I am feeding data to udp socket.
>
> How?  What sort of data?
> 1083 NEMA string ,there is some utility which generates sample data.

Ugh.  We have found many broken NMEA simulators.

> > When I tried to read
> > the data
> > using gpslib I got a timeout error.
>
> Getting way ahead of yourself.  Don't bother to touch libgps until
>  the "-D 4" log from gpsd looks good.  Then move on to cgps, befoure
> looking at libgps.
> ok

And what did you see?

[...]

> >  I have tried with "gpspipe -r" ,I was able to get a raw string
> > which I parsed dynamically.
>
> Your C code asks for JSON, but you compare to psuedo NMEA.  Apples and
> oranges.
> - I was checking the gpspipe client  and my client application.
> gpspipe client
> was getting data (in both options -w  -r) ,my client application got
> timeout.

When gpspipe gives good data, but your client does not work, that pretty
much narrows it down to your client.  That "-D 4" log might help.

Care to share what gpspipe showed you?  My mind reading is flakey today.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588