gpsd-users

Re: GPSD not running under LINUX Mint 21.1

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: GPSD not running under LINUX Mint 21.1
Date: Sun, 07 May 2023 07:27:51 -0400

"Jason A. McPeak" <mcpeak.jason@gmail.com> writes:

> gpsd -D 5 -nN /dev/ttyATM0, gives the following output:
> gpsd:INFO: launching (Version 3.22)

That's old.  The standard advice is to upgrade to the latest release, 3.25.

> I've check processes and GPSD isn't running either. Has anyone have an
> idea as to why this isn't working?

I keep hearing rumors that many GNU/Linux distributions have a really
complicated init system that does things like open sockets for programs
that might run later, without running the program, so that if something
connects it will start it later.  The rumor continues that it seems to
cause a lot of people trouble :-)  So I would look into that.