gpsd-users

Re: u-blox : layers are confusing me (Hans Mayer)

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: u-blox : layers are confusing me (Hans Mayer)
Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 10:59:27 -0700

Yo Jason!

On Sat, 20 May 2023 12:40:26 -0500
"Jason A. McPeak" <mcpeak.jason@gmail.com> wrote:

> I believe that the U-BLOX GPS unit is auto baud configuring by
> default.

Nope.  tell me what model you have, and I'll tell you the default
serial port speed.

> I have accessed mine using Minicom under Linux at all kinds
> of different speeds, and it always sends clear messages, unlike the
> GPS devices on commercial ships which if you had your baud rate wrong
> all you got was garbage sentences.

If you are using a native USB version of a u-blox, then "speed" is
ignored on that line.  They run at native USB speed, directly into the
receiver.

But other eceivers use USB/Serial chips, like the PL2303, to talk to the
native serial port on the receiver.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588