gpsd-users

gpsd client for macOS

From: Bryan Christianson
Subject: gpsd client for macOS
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2023 11:16:00 +1200

I have released GPSDConfig-1.0.2, a gpsd client that runs on macOS 10.14.6
(Mojave) through to macOS 14 (Sonoma beta).

The application will generate a boot configuration for gpsd, based on the user
selected serial device. In addition, there is a flag to defer starting gpsd
until chronyd is running.

I wrote the software as a request from radio amateurs who require timing
accuracy on their Macs better than 1 sec but in the absence of an internet
connection.

GPSDConfig will generate a refclock directive for chronyd enabling it to
receive the gps timestamps from gpsd. Unfortunately there is no native PPS
implementation for macOS so the accuracy is limited, but within the bounds
required by these amateur radio enthusiasts.

If anyone has had success with PPS on macOS I'm all ears :)

The software can be downloaded from https://whatroute.net/gpsdconfig.html

Regards, Bryan

--
Bryan Christianson