gpsd-users

Re: On cultural differences

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: On cultural differences
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2024 13:44:20 -0700

Yo Владимир!

On Sun, 14 Jul 2024 12:51:00 +0300
Владимир Калачихин <v.kalachikhin@gmail.com> wrote:

> 14.07.2024 06:09, Gary E. Miller пишет:
> > I know at least five wind angles used by NMEA.
> >
> > Wind angle from True North
> > Wind angle from Magnetic North
> > Wind angle from the where the bow points
> > Wind angle from true course.
> > Wind angle from true course.
>
> Ok, "wind angle" and "wind direction" are not terms.

Thy are terms, just poorly defined ones.

> Then what exactly does "wind angle" mean in this document:
> https://gpsd.gitlab.io/gpsd/gpsd_json.html#_tpv ?

I'm on the road and can't check the code.  It usually means that
the ext was copied from some vendor's descripiotn of MWD.

> And what does "wind angle" and "wind direction" mean in this:
> https://gpsd.gitlab.io/gpsd/NMEA.html#_mwd_wind_direction_speed ?

Ditto.

The NMEA -183 spec is closed and very expensive, so we have to depend
on third party descriptions.  In the end, it means what ever your
WMD source says it means.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588