grammatica-users

Re: [Grammatica-users] Lookahead feature?

From: Matti Katila
Subject: Re: [Grammatica-users] Lookahead feature?
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 08:29:26 +0300 (EEST)

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005, Thomas Moschny wrote:

> I've created a grammar (file) that contains about 100 productions and for sure
> has some ambiguities in it. When I start Grammatica in order to create a
> parser for this grammar, it will not finish within several hours. After 24
> hours, I interrupted it.

I have seen the same problem and the problem occurs in the lookahead set
calculation. Thus, I'm not sure whether I did modify the code to pass some
checks for my own fun ;o)

> Now, I wondered, whether there is a good way to debug my grammar without
> waiting so long. Maybe Grammatica could output some sort of progress
> information, e.g. the name of the currently processed production and the
> current value of k. This would it make easier (for me) to find and review the
> problematic parts of the grammar.

It's a bug since it should be a lot faster but it's doing
hard work in some loop and can't get out. I still haven't cleared out
what's the idea/model/assumptions with lookahead parser. I don't remember
to found a one from the dragon book :)

   -Matti