Re: [Groff] Sun OS 5.6 / Groff 1.14

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: [Groff] Sun OS 5.6 / Groff 1.14
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 10:44:45 +0100 (BST)

On 11-Apr-00 Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> Having a zero or negative value in the BBox is *not* conforming to
> Adobe's Document Structuring Conventions, thus such an image is
> rejected.
>
>> The only fix I know is changing the BoundingBox comment in the EPS
>> file.
>
> Exactly.  Please complain to the image program authors to fix the
> creation of incorrect BBox values.
>
> I will add a warning message to the PSPIC macro if the image isn't
> valid.

Hi Werner,

Maybe you're more up-to-date than I am, but according to my copy
of the Adobe PostScript Language Reference Manual (2nd edition, 1990)
it would seem that any (signed) integer value is valid.

In particular, on pages 722-723 (of Appendix H, Encapsulated PostScript
File Format -- Version 3.0) an example is discussed where negative BBox
values have been deliberately used.

The definition of %%BoundingBox: on page 641 (of Appendix G, Document
Structuring Conventions -- Version 3.0) does not exclude negative or
zero values.

Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Date: 11-Apr-00                                       Time: 10:44:44

"Please, at what time does the station leave this train?"
Albert Einstein (allegedly).