Re: [Groff] Arrow between ellipses - How to chop (remove overlap) ?

From: Frank G. Hahn
Subject: Re: [Groff] Arrow between ellipses - How to chop (remove overlap) ?
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2000 20:54:27 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ralph Corderoy" <address@hidden>
To: "Frank G. Hahn" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Sunday, October 01, 2000 6:52 PM

> Hi,
>
> > I have quite some difficulties getting this right.
> >
> > .PS
> > E1: ellipse "$DoDo$" at (0,0)
> > E2: ellipse "$NoNo$" at (5, 5)
> > arrow from E1 to E2 chop
> > .PE
> >
> > Now my problem can you define chop (or synonym) so that the overlap
> > of the arrows over the ellipses does not occur ?
>
> Try
>
>     arrow from E1 to E2 chop 0.3

This would have been nice .. but I need something more generic than that.
I got a program reading a hugin (Bayesian Network) file and generating the
output in PIC-format.
Which results in "many" ellipses scattered about on a page. Some of these
are connected (using arrows).
How do I get pic to chop the arrow correctly in BOTH ends.

I can't chop them using a constant, because I don't really know how the
ellipses will be placed relative to one another.

/Frank