Re: [Groff] Re: groff: radical re-implementation

From: Tomohiro KUBOTA
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: groff: radical re-implementation
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 09:12:34 +0900

Hi,

At Tue, 24 Oct 2000 10:32:13 +0200 (CEST),
Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

>> BTW, do you plan to release Groff with Japanese patch, with my
>> preprocessor, as a makeshift until Groff with UTF-8 input will be
>> available?  (I thought so since you seem to be interested in my
>> preprocessor working with Japanese-patched Groff. :-)
>
> Do you think this is useful?  It introduces a lot of stuff which has
> to be removed afterwards.  Wouldn't it be better to stay with a
> separate groff-jp distribution?

Ok, I fully agree with you.  Many users of Groff may be confused if
Groff with Japanese patch becomes an 'official' version.

>> The algorithm will be: check locale and use
>>  - -Tlatin1 for Latin-1 languages
>>  - -Tnippon for Japanese
>>  - -Tascii8 for other languages
>> if groff wrapper is invoked with -Ttty.  (IMO, we should not override
>> user's specification of -Tlatin1, -Tascii, -Tnippon, and so on).
>
> What mechanism do you suggest for communication between the
> preprocessor and troff?

Well, I thought again and conclude that the current version of Groff
cannot cooperate well with the preprocessor.  If we want
locale-sensibility before the re-implementation of troff, I suggest
that groff wrapper is suitable for such an implementation.  I think
this is not so big evil.

However, I think the best 'makeshift' will be that troff will support
UTF-8 I/O without drastic change of internal of troff.  I don't know
this can be acheved with minor modification of troff or not, since
I am not familiar with the internal of troff.

Then the pre/postprocessors will be able to cooperate with troff.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <address@hidden>
http://surfchem0.riken.go.jp/~kubota