Re: [Groff] use of HTML4 characters

From: Andy Dougherty
Subject: Re: [Groff] use of HTML4 characters
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 09:24:32 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, Bruno Haible wrote:

> On the other hand, important browsers like Netscape 4.7x still don't know
> about these characters and represent \(bu as "•" and \- as "−".
> Therefore I think it's best to support two different variants of the HTML
> device for the moment: "html" as HTML 3.2, and "html4" as HTML 4.0. Let
> the users (or distributors) choose the right one for their environment.

I'm not sure a new device is the place to do this.  It might be better at
the macro level.

In any case, I'd recommend thinking forward:  A plain html ought to be the
"newest" while an "older" version ought to require you to be more
specific.  Thus I'd use html32 and html.  That way, 5 years from now when
I go to run off an existing document with groff-1.88 I can still just use
"html" and it will spit out whatever "html" is appropriate 5 years from
now.

--
    Andy Dougherty              address@hidden
    Dept. of Physics