Re: [Groff] -mm incompatibility with troff

From: Larry Jones
Subject: Re: [Groff] -mm incompatibility with troff
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 12:08:39 -0400 (EDT)

Andrew Koenig writes:

>        .HU "Section 1"
>        This is some text.
>        .HU "Section 2"
>        This is some more text.
>
> When I run this under troff -mm, the "Section [12]" lines come
> out in bold font with a blank line before and after "Section 2".
>
> When I run it under groff -mm, the "Section [12]" lines come out
> in italic font, and there is no blank line before "Section 2".

The first difference is just different default values for the HF string.
groff matches my mm documentation in making the default value "2 2 2 2 2
2 2", but my AT&T mm macros (which claim to be 1.3 - 89/08/31) make the
default "3 3 2 2 2 2 2", which probably matches what you have.  My
experience is that most serious documents set it explicitly, so I'm not
sure the default value is very important.

The second difference is more interesting; I'm guessing it's a bug in
.SP, but I'd have to do some digging to be sure.

-Larry Jones

It COULD'VE happened by accident! -- Calvin