Re: [Groff] documentation on macro writing

From: Colin Watson
Subject: Re: [Groff] documentation on macro writing
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 13:55:14 +0100

On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 12:30:06PM +0100, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> Hi Werner,
>
> > I once tried the `clara' package, but it was too cryptic to use for
> > me...
>
> I happened to spot a `Clara OCR 0.9.9 released' post by them the other
> day.
>
>     http://www.claraocr.org/news.html#11
>
> Despite this, it does look like it's complex to get going and use.  I
> hadn't realised before that it's aimed at those OCR-ing books, including
> collaboratively across the web.

I OCRed chapter 4 of UTP using gocr, which was quite trivial to get
going and use, at least from the Debian package. I wouldn't bother with
the GTK frontend, though - you can currently only select one file at a
time, which makes it exceedingly tedious for the one-file-per-page
format of the O'Reilly scans.

Not having much experience of OCR, I can't say how accurate gocr's
output is compared to that of other programs (it makes a few consistent
mistakes), but all the same correcting it is a substantial factor faster
than typing from scratch.

  http://altmark.nat.uni-magdeburg.de/~jschulen/ocr/index.html

--
Colin Watson                                  address@hidden