Re: [Groff] grog and mom.

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] grog and mom.
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2002 13:47:06 +0200 (CEST)

> A more general method is a new groff request (or rc macro)
> `.require' that loads a macro package only if necessary.  To
> accomplish this, every macro package must define some characterizing
> string/macro, for example, ._NAME_TMAC, analoguously to the `#ifdef'
> in C header files.

This is an interesting idea.  Due to the rather limited number of
groff macro packages it would be even feasible.

> if `mom' is a groff standard package (such as `me') then...
> - om.tmac should be installed in the normal tmac directory.
> - grog must perfectly recognize all mom documents.
> - the groff pipe handles `mom' exactly like `me', etc.
> - it is not necessary to worry about .so/.mso.

This is the goal.  With mm it works, and with mom it should act the
same.

> As it looks by now, `mom' has not yet reached the state of perfect
> standard groffship,

It's not clear to me how you get this impression.  During `make
install', mom is installed at the same location as all other macro
packages.  Don't be irritated by the fact that it is in the `contrib'
directory!  It only indicates that it is not me, the groff
maintainer, who is mainly taking care of the particular package.

    Werner