Re: [Groff] three questions on m.tmac, escapes and locale

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] three questions on m.tmac, escapes and locale
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 08:07:05 +0200 (CEST)

> 3) How does groff (troff) parse its input ... concerning Posix
>    locale?

It doesn't use a Posix locale.

> How does troff know that 0xe4 in my rof source should be a \(:a in
> Times Roman Latin1 font.

This is defined in the file latin1.tmac.

> And if troff knows about LC_ALL (and thus
> /usr/share/locale/xx_XX.spec) can I use the information stored in
> those locales (like Names of Months, date format, monetary style,
> etc.) inside troff.

This is not possible.  You could scan and parse the `LANG' environment
variable, then loading an appropriate language support file, but I
don't think this is a good idea since it won't work well for
multilingual documents.  Something like LaTeX's babel system would be
nice, but until now noone has written such a thing since groff is
still tightly bound to latin1.  I hope to start conversion to Unicode
soon.

    Werner