Re: [Groff] Re: MSVC Port

From: Alejandro López-Valencia
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: MSVC Port
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 07:08:43 -0500

On Monday, December 01, 2003 7:00 AM [GMT-5],
Jeff Conrad <address@hidden> wrote:

> The configure script is VERY close to running out of the box in
the
> MKS environment (and presumably anything reasonably similar).
With a
> few relatively simple changes, it should run without any
> modifications.  Nearly all of the problems I had in the build of
> groff 1.19.1 arose from failure to deal with simple OS differences
> (e.g., the 'exe' extension on executables). The difference between
> this build and building groff 1.11 in 1999 is astonishing.
>
> Perhaps there could be a minimal collection of *nixy utilities
that
> are required, and the required utilities could be stated in the
> release notes.

Many of the incompatibilities would disappear if using automake
instead of the homegrown build system in place today. The
development branch of automake (judiciously combined with the
development branch of libtool) can produce cygwin and mingw binaries
without a hitch; I am rather sure it can be taught to use MSVC
command line tools if it doesn't already.