[Groff] mom 1.7 is out

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: [Groff] mom 1.7 is out
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 00:43:13 -0500

Hi, all, and happy New Year (a bit late).

I've just posted a new release of mom (v. 1.7) on mom's web site at

    http://www.ncf.ca/~df191/mom.html

I've sent patches to Werner under separate cover (is that the
correct term when using email?), but if you're in a hurry to try
out 1.7, get it from the web site.

The major addition to mom in 1.7 is lists--finally.  These proved
to be tricky little beasts, so if any anomalies crop up, I'll
appreciate hearing about them.

I've also added, at the suggestion of Florian Cramer, some
extensions to SMARTQUOTES.  See doc section 4.11, SMARTQUOTES for
further details.

On a humorous note--while reading man groff_char, I came across
this:

    «       \[Fo]  guillemotleft    u00AB
    »       \[Fc]  guillemotright   u00BB

According to my Webster's, a guillemot is "...any of several
narrow-billed auks of northern seas."  Cool.  So I created a small
document with one \[Fo] and one \[Fc] in it (I thought a breeding
pair would be kind of fun), but sadly, when I processed the doc, no
auks. :(

Is there some reason why it's guillemot instead of guillemet?

--
Peter Schaffter

Author of _The Schumann Proof_, appearing fall, 2004
(pub. RendezVous Press, Canada)