[Groff] Adding styles to DESC

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: [Groff] Adding styles to DESC
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 17:27:56 -0400

I'm having trouble with adding styles to the font/devps/DESC file.
There's obviously something I'm missing.

Say I have the Frutiger family with fonts in the following styles:

        roman        R
        italic       I
        bold         B
        bold italic  BI
        light        L
        light italic LI
        black        BL
        black italic BLI
        ultra black  UB

I create font files in font/devps/ with the names FRU (i.e.
FRUTIGER) with the styles attached, like this:

        FRUR
        FRUI
        FRUB
        FRUBI
        FRUL
        FRULI
        FRUBL
        FRUBLI
        FRUUB

Now, in the DESC file, I add to the default line, "styles R I B BI",
the extra styles "L LI BL BLI UB".

Then, when I do, for example

    .fam FRU
    .ft  LI
    some text

"some text" comes out in Frutiger Light Italic, as expected.
However, when I follow that with, e.g.

    .fam T
    .ft  B
    some more text

"some more text" does not come out in Times-Roman bold, but rather
in Frutiger bold.  IOW, the .fam request is not accessing the
Times-Roman family as instructed.  The only way I can get .fam T to
change to Times-Roman is by preceding .fam T with a superfluous
.ft R.

Can someone explain the correct way to add styles to the DESC file
so that when I do .fam <whatever>, groff changes to the <whatever>
family, as expected?

--
Peter Schaffter

Author of _The Schumann Proof_, appearing fall, 2004
(pub. RendezVous Press, Canada)