Re: [Groff] win32 experiences?

From: GnuWin32
Subject: Re: [Groff] win32 experiences?
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 21:14:33 -0000

----- Oorspronkelijk bericht ----- Van: "Jorgen Grahn" <address@hidden>
Aan: <address@hidden>
Verzonden: donderdag 28 oktober 2004 10:56
Onderwerp: Re: [Groff] win32 experiences?

On Wed Oct 27 18:07:15 2004, address@hidden wrote:
It is not groff (that is, troff and the post processors) that have
problems with CRLF files. Rather, it is some of the preprocessors. E.g.,
tbl dies unceremoniously if given a CRLF file. Perhaps it should be
considered a bug: some parts of groff are able to handle EOL
transparently, while other parts don't.

The binaries from Gnuwin32 should not have such problems, and in my experience do not indeed have them, since they use the standard MS-Windows way of reading files, whereby text files are upon reading converted to binary.

A Cygwin specific solution is to have your working space in a text
mount, which will make Cygwin translate EOLs from DOS to UNIX and back
transparently (as in behind your back, will kill binary object files, so
don't compile anything under such conditions). May or may not work, YMMV.

That is probably what I did, and why it seemed to work out for me. I used
Cygwin's tbl at work for a while (to format something that was all but
unreadable with our "normal" Windows tools).

In the Cygwin setup one can also choose to have standard MS-Windows text file handling. In the third screen you can choose as Default Text File Type either DOS or Unix. DOS implies the standard MS-Windows way for text files (i.e. CRLF is upon reading converted to CR).

Kees Zeelenberg