Re: [Groff] Problems with man pages in 1.19?

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] Problems with man pages in 1.19?
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 9:56:54 -0500

Meg McRoberts wrote:

> I just upgraded my O/S to Mandrake and got groff 1.19.
> I have some manpages that formatted just fine on an
> earlier version of troff.
>
> I have two main problems:
> - For the ASCII format, I'm getting a whole bunch of
>   screwy error messages such as:
>
> ../../vsapi/truefiletypes.man:749: warning [p 10, 0.3i, div `3tbd18,5',
> 0.7i]: cannot
> adjust line
>
>   and the output has the 3m, 0m, 4m, etc characters spread around

> - The PDF output is generally formatting okay, but there is always
>   a big space after the "fi" string -- so it looks like "fi lename"
>   and "modifi ed"

The warnings look like stuff you get from MacOSX 10.2 when you compile without
using "./configure CXX=g++2" -- what version of gcc do you have? I've heard
that some Linux distros want to be more Mac-like, but they don't have to
duplicate the bugs, too! :-P

I've seen the ligature problems with certain versions of Ghostscript (7.00,
IIRC). No problems with AFPL Ghostscript 8.00.

--
Larry Kollar     k  o  l  l  a  r  @  a  l  l  t  e  l  .  n  e  t
Unix Text Processing: "UTP Revival"