Re: [Groff] gpic question?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] gpic question?
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 23:14:48 +0100 (CET)

> > Great idea!  Adding things directly to the groff distribution
> > needs papers for the FSF.  There isn't such a need for the
> > website, of course.
>
> I'm really not willing to sign over my copyrights to the FSF.

I have almost anticipated that :-)

> It's a personal choice but if the requirement is that it has to be
> signed over to the FSF that's a non-starter for me.

This is how GNU programs work.

> Personally, I'm a little unhappy with the perception that the FSF is
> responsible for all the GNU code, that's not even remotely close to
> true.

`Responsible' is the wrong word, I think.  The FSF holds the
copyright, and that's all.

> Groff is a good example, the FSF didn't pay for that or support it,
> James did it on his own.

But James has donated groff to the FSF by assigning the copyright!
This was his personal choice; nobody has forced him to do that.

Note that I *could* add stuff to the groff distribution which has a
different license; for example, the mdoc package is using a BSD
license.

> I'd suggest you make a template directory structure like
>
>       name/
>           Makefile
>           README
>           source.tr
>
> and have people follow that.

Currently I have

  groff/contrib/
    documentation/
      utp/
    macros/

I suggest to add

  groff/contrib/
    examples/
      pic/
        foo/
        bar/
      eqn/
      grap/

    Werner

PS: It isn't possible currently to access
    `http://groff.ffii.org/groff/'.