Re: [Groff] Re: backspace and Unicode in terminals

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: backspace and Unicode in terminals
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 08:45:51 +0100 (CET)

Thanks to all who have answered my questions.  I was unclear
w.r.t. the backspace character: It isn't needed for positioning (this
is done internally in grotty before the output is emitted) but for
signalling that a character should be underlined or rendered bold.[1]
This isn't directly supported on the console but by pagers like
`less'.

groff never uses termcap or terminfo information for its TTY output,
and I don't plan to add this -- nobody has ever complained.

Looking into the source of jless, the Japanized version of less (which
apparently doesn't support Unicode), it seems that indeed two `\b's
are expected for overstriking and bold printing.  Bruno has also shown
that two backspace characters give predictable results, so this is
what I will use.

    Werner

[1] This is the old scheme.  The new scheme uses SGR escape sequences.