Re: [Groff] Math symbol upside down?

From: Clarke Echols
Subject: Re: [Groff] Math symbol upside down?
Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 08:41:20 -0600

Oops --

The problem appears to be in Ghostgum/ghostscript and how it
displays.  If I increase the point size substantially, I get
the double tilde that I want, but when I set it at 12 points,
it *appears* to be a straight line with a tilde underneath,
except for a slight crook at the end of the straight line.
Evidently it's a screen resolution problem (though I use a large,
high-resolution display).

Sorry about the false alarm...  I keep forgetting that interpolation
of pixel locations can lead to such anomalies.

Thanks for the response.  I was not aware of the \(~~ escape
sequence.

Clarke

(Ted Harding) wrote:
On 06-May-06 Clarke Echols wrote:
I am playing around with a little project and decided to make a
drawing using groff accompanied by mathematical analysis text.

I decided to use the \(~= sequence for the "approximately equal"
symbol in the math table, using the eroff manual I have from the
late 1980s as a reference.  In that manual, the symbol is a
horizontal bar with a tilde bar above it, but in the groff package
I got with cygwin, the tilde is on the bottom.  My PostScript
tutorial by Ross Smith indicates that the math font character is
actually a pair of tildes.

What's going on?  I've never seen a tilde on the bottom before.
Is this a take-off spoof like GNU's not Unix? :-)

Clarke

Hmm, I'm not sure where you are getting this result from.

Check out .../devps/S and you should find that both \(~=
and \(~~ map to PostScript "approxequal" which is your
"pair of tildes".

Best wishes,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>