Re: [Groff] Sun's troff now available

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Sun's troff now available
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 08:57:16 +0200 (CEST)

> I stumbled across this today, and didn't see anything about it in
> the archives.
>
> http://heirloom.sourceforge.net/doctools.html

Nice!  The author has taken many extensions from groff, and some
extensions he has invented by himself, apparently influenced by both
XeTeX and LaTeX's New Font Selection Scheme.  Please read the doc
files carefully (both doc.tr and font.tr)!  If you find something
which is worth to be added to groff, mention it here.  Of special
interest I've found

  .fzoom

     Apply a scaling factor to a font.  Useful to harmonize the size
     of different fonts like Times and Helvetica if simultaneously.

  .minss

     Minimum word space when adjusting lines.  I consider this a quite
     elegant solution to circumvent the problem of not having
     shrinkable whitespace in groff.

  .lhang/.rhang

     Hanging characters at the left and right margin, respectively.

The control facilities of kerning are interesting too, but I'm not
sure whether this is really needed.

A completely different topic is handling of OpenType features.  This I
have to further analyze.

    Werner