[Groff] Debugging environments

From: Nick Stoughton
Subject: [Groff] Debugging environments
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 13:05:38 -0700

I have been wrestling with an issue where some macros I was developing
failed to correctly reset an environment that they used between calls.
In order to help me debug this issue, I added a new request, .pev,
similar to .pnr for dumping number registers.

.pev prints the current environment state, followed by the state of all
the environments in the environment dictionary (if the current
environment is one of these, it is simply flagged as "CURRENT
ENVIRONMENT", and not reprinted).

I found this tremendously helpful in debugging the issue I had, and
offer a patch to implement this.
--
Nick Stoughton                          Cell: 510 388 1413
USENIX Standards Liaison                Fax:  510 548 5738