Re: [Groff] groff "overflow" and tbl empty cell problems

From: Keith Marshall
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff "overflow" and tbl empty cell problems
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 23:58:38 +0100

On Tue, 2007-09-18 at 15:35 -0700, andlabs wrote:
> .ie \\n(.ti<=1i \{\            \" If we are at bottom, place a line

Should that not be

  .ie \\n(.tu<=1i ...

since the value stored in the .t register is not inches, but a measure
in troff units?

Also, IIRC, when you place a comment after \{, you need to write it as

  \{.\" comment text

(note the dot), otherwise you get an unwanted significant line break in
the input stream.

> .el .ie \\n(.pi-1>=\\n(.t \{\  \" Else if we are at top, place a line

Similarly, .p is a measure in troff units.  When you multiply these,
possibly quite large .t and .i values by 72000 units per inch, the huge
result will very likely cause the overflow you report.

Regards,
Keith.