Re: [Groff] Paper Size with groff and evince on Ubuntu 7.10.

From: Deri James
Subject: Re: [Groff] Paper Size with groff and evince on Ubuntu 7.10.
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 16:18:33 +0100

On Monday 21 April 2008 15:40:57 Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm on Ubuntu 7.10 with
>
>     groff     1.18.1.1-12
>     evince    2.20.1-0ubuntu1
>
> I'm finding evince doesn't treat the PostScript from groff as being A4.
>
>     $ cat /etc/papersize
>     a4
>     $ date | groff -ma4 >date.ps
>     $ g '^%' date.ps
>     %!PS-Adobe-3.0
>     %%Creator: groff version 1.18.1
>     %%CreationDate: Mon Apr 21 15:36:37 2008
>     %%DocumentNeededResources: font Times-Roman
>     %%DocumentSuppliedResources: procset grops 1.18 1
>     %%Pages: 1
>     %%PageOrder: Ascend
>     %%Orientation: Portrait
>     %%EndComments
>     %%BeginProlog
>     %%BeginResource: procset grops 1.18 1
>     %%EndResource
>     %%IncludeResource: font Times-Roman
>     %%EndProlog
>     %%Page: 1 1
>     %%BeginPageSetup
>     %%EndPageSetup
>     %%Trailer
>     %%EOF
>     $

[snip]

> Cheers,
>

> Ralph.

Does the 'DESC' file in 'devps' contain 'papersize /etc/papersize a4'?

If you upgrade to 1.19+ you would also have:-

"o The paper size is now emitted via the %%DocumentMedia and PageSize
  mechanisms so that it is no longer required to tell `gv' or `ps2pdf'
  about the paper size.  The `broken' flag value 16 omits this feature
  (the used PostScript command `setpagedevice' is a LanguageLevel 2
  extension) -- if you intend to further process grops output to get an
  encapsulated PS (EPS) file you must also use this option.

  Patch by Egil Kvaleberg <address@hidden>."

Cheers

Deri