Re: [Groff] Devps unmatched metrics

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Groff] Devps unmatched metrics
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 19:59:10 +0200

> Then there is the problem of adding additional faces. I have a
> large collection acquired or purchased from several sources.
> These are installed by a script which looks up a database.
> How do other groff users do this?

> I'm willing to release what I've done.

I am, too, but I'll readily admit that my font installation
script is nothing but trivial (I wrote it mostly because
I didn't always want to type in the path to the font
directory).  [I'll post it to the list later on -- I'll take
the opportunity to streamline it a bit and clean out the junk
that has accumulated.]

Actually, font installation for devps is quite easy, because
most of the work has already been done in the afmtodit program,
so all you have to do is (1) copy the font to where grops
can find it, (2) create an entry in grops's "download" file,
and (3) call afmtodit with the correct parameters, using the
afm file provided with the font ((3a) create an afm file with
getafm or equivalent if you don't have one, but then you'll
have to adjust kerning by yourself if you need it).
I don't use the makefile in "generate".

The neat thing about groff's way of having the (editable)
metrics file separate from the actual font file (as opposed
to, say, a system where the metrics are read directly from a
not-so-easily-editable truetype or opentype font file), is that
it is extremely easy to adjust things like the subscript kern
for individual letters or to add new kerning pairs. (Example:
many afm files specify kerning for "Ve" but not for "eV".
Granted, "eV" does not usually occur in everyday language,
but the electron-Volt is a commonly used energy unit in some
fields of work, and "keV" simply doesn't look nice with a
larger space between "e" and "V" than between "k" and "e",
in particular because "ke" *is* often kerned.)