Re: [Groff] add extra footer with running page numbers

From: Nick Stoughton
Subject: Re: [Groff] add extra footer with running page numbers
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2008 10:52:39 -0700

If I understand your problem correctly, when we build the POSIX spec we
have a similar problem. I have a macro that I ensure is called at the
end of any run. This uses .tm to print a macro (.pn) to stderr with the
final page number which I then save to a separate file. This file is an
input to the next run, setting the initial page number.

This is a somewhat stripped down version:
   1. create a file called "last_page" which has the following 2 lines:
        .bp
        .tm .pn %

   2. create a file called "first_page" with the single line:
        .pn 1

   3. Assume your text is in foo.man:
        tbl foo.man | groff -Tps -man first_page - last_page 2>
first_page.new > foo.ps

   4. mv first_page.new first_page

The above is a grossly simplified and untested version of what the POSIX
build operation does, but I hope it serves to point you in the right
direction!
--
Nick