Re: [Groff] blm blues

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] blm blues
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 09:11:43 -0500

Miklos Somogyi wrote:

I am trying to produce a macro for request blm that would set space as a given fraction of the current vertical spacing.

I did the following:

 .de blank
. nr blankreg (c;\\$1) this would accept things like ".blank 0.42" and convert to "u"
..

.de blank_aux
. sp (\\n[.v]u*\\n[blankreg]u/28340)u this macro would generate space when .blm finds a blank line
..

.blm blank_aux this nominates blank_aux to be called by .blm

I know I'm coming in late, but there are two things I'd do differently: set a default and use relative spacing (v) instead of machine units (u).

.de blank_aux
. if !rblankreg .nr blankreg 0.4v
. sp \\n[blankreg]u
..
.blm blank_aux

Replace the 0.4v above with whatever you want the default value to be and it will work with the entire range of devices and text sizes.

-- Larry