Re: [Groff] Vertical Movement - Sticky?

From: Clarke Echols
Subject: Re: [Groff] Vertical Movement - Sticky?
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 16:25:37 -0700

If I understand you correctly, here's what's happening:

>  \h'7c'

    moves you 7 cm over from left margin.

>  .br

    puts you back at the left margin.

You need another \h'7c' to move you 7cm to the right before
printing 001.  Like this:

> \"move up to stamp
> \h'7c'
> \v'0.5c-\n[nl]u'
> FRANCE
> .br
> \h'7c' 0001
> .br

Another way:

>  .in +7c
> \v'0.5c-\n[nl]u'
> FRANCE
> .br
> 0001
> .in -7c

Clarke

Toby Chaloner wrote:
I am trying to move vertically up before adding some paragraphs at the new
location.  (I am actually trying to create a fixed format envelope an write
the country, and a record number where the stamp will go.)
When I execute the following the word FRANCE appears in the correct vertical
position, but the number 0001 is positioned near where the insertion point
was before.  As a total newbie to groff can anyone help please.  The code I
tried is is below.
hello
.br
world