Re: [Groff] grops error message

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] grops error message
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 15:59:56 +0000

Hi Miklos,

Please reply to the list, not just me.  It'll help others that come
searching the archives later.

> > > grops:<standard input>:4:fatal error: cannot create temporary
> > > file: No such file or directory
> >
> > Try
> >
> >    echo | strace -f -e trace=open,creat groff 2>&1 | grep O_CREAT
> >
> > and it may show where it was trying to create the temporary file.
>
> I think that an input file name is missing after groff.

No, it'll read the empty line supplied by echo(1) as input.

> Anyway, wit or without it there is no output.  What does this mean?

That groff, and none of the processes it created, e.g. grops, never
attempted to create any files.  A bit odd.  Perhaps some earlier check
is failing.  Can you do

    echo | strace -f -o strace.out groff >/dev/null

and mail, just me this time and not the list, yes, I am being
contradictory, :-) the strace.out file it creates.

Cheers,
Ralph.