Re: [Groff] conditionals

From: Robert Thorsby
Subject: Re: [Groff] conditionals
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2010 18:52:23 +1000

On 01/06/10 17:49:04, address@hidden wrote:
> > While you are at it, would you please include "elif" in your patch.
> There are already (as well as ".if") ".ie" for "if-else", "&" for
> "and" and ":" for "or".
>
> See 'info groff' under
>
>   * Request Index::
>   --> * ie:         Read this for ".ie" and ".if" then at the bottom:
>       --> *Note Expressions::  for "&" and ":"

G'day Ted,

Yep, one of the few requests that I do know. However, I have recently
written (as a learning exercise) a macro that automatically indented,
nested, aligned, and numbered paragraphs. The macro takes an optional
single argument:
1
0
<none>
<anything else>
Arguments 1, a, A, i, and I set the type of numbering; "0" finishes the
then current sequence and backs out to the previous level; <nothing>
takes a new paragraph and increments the current number; and <anything
else (I use "b")> creates bullets.

When I was writing the macro I used full-sized tabs in the text editor
for formatting in order to see where I was. But, even after replacing
each tab with two spaces, the lines disappeared off to the right into
oblivion. What I would have given for a case statement. :-)

Fortunately, I use awk a bit so I am used to it -- kinda.

Robert Thorsby
Whatever women must do they must do twice
as well as men to be thought half as good.
Luckily, this is not difficult.
                -- Charlotte Whitton