Re: [Groff] tbl footnotes and graph position

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Groff] tbl footnotes and graph position
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 15:56:15 +0100

> http://www.schemamania.org/tbl/eg/
> I thought you might like to see a working example this time.  :-)

Uh... sorry to have been misleading you all this time.
Where are the actual footnotes?

I had misinterpreted the symptoms, and believed that the table
cell is rendered twice: once to determine the height, and once
again to draw the actual content.  But it turns out this is not
the case.  Tbl renders the content into a diversion, but keeps
the diversion and replays it onto the page.  So the content is
only processed once, not twice, and the strategy suggested by
me will not work.

Also, the ms macros *do* distinguish between the top-level
diversion and other diversions in the footnotes, but in this
particular case the result is obviously not what we want it
to be.  Please try the following:

  1. Make a copy of s.tmac and put it in your working directory.

  2. In the definition of "fn*start-div" in your copy of "s.tmac",
     remove the line beginning with ".ie", as well as the line
     containing the matching closing brace and the ".el" line.

  3. In your source file, add ".so s.tmac" at the beginning
     (to make groff use your version of the ms macros), and
     do not use "-ms" when calling groff.