[Groff] Trouble with mm

From: Cedric Sodhi
Subject: [Groff] Trouble with mm
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 12:30:09 +0200

Hello,

I recently decided to use mm instead of ms because it appeared that mm
offered far more but I'm having a hard time getting it to do what I
want.

With ms things were relatively easy and straight forward. me on the
other hand appears to be rather complicated and I seem not to find a
documentation describing me as a whole.

In particular, I'm missing the information about which macro has to be
invoked when, where and in which context together with what other
macros. The list of macros in groff_mm might be complete, but I think
they are not sufficiently put into relation to understand how to use
them.

To illustrate my problem, I tried creating a simple letter. In fact, I
was left guessing as for which macro goes where, so this might appear
completely misconcepted to anyone who actually knows me.

I thought I'd have to start with specifying the overall format of the
document (this, for example is an information I'd like to see
documented: Does something have to be called at the very beginning in
order to work. Only ocassionally there are remarks such as "X has to be
called immediately after Y"):

.LT BL
.LO SJ "A subject"
.MT 5                   \" <--- What *is* a memorandum type?
.WA "Me" "Mr."
Blümchenstraße 12
.WE
.HU "Dear Mr. or Mrs."
This is my letter with references\*(Rf
.RS
Such as this one
.RF

Now, compiled with "groff -kept -Tps -P-pa4 -dpaper=a4 -m mm" this
doesn't look like anything I want. The SUBJECT is on the last page
together with the references, The german "SZ" (ß) becomes a \u[00DF] and
practically nothing looks like I intended.

In lack of a better question: Could anyone help?

Regards,
Cedric