Re: [Groff] Beginner Groff issue: number registers inside macros

From: Clarke Echols
Subject: Re: [Groff] Beginner Groff issue: number registers inside macros
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 23:20:23 -0600

On 06/27/2012 02:45 PM, Zoë Blade wrote:
That may not be what you need.  A blank line has the same vertical
spacing as a .sp 1v request.  Paragraph spacing is more typically
.sp .5v

Thank you, that's a very good point!  As it happens, for my particular
idiosyncratic purposes, I'm making a macro package for formatting scripts (the
non-computer kind), which are (as far as I can tell) essentially emulating an
IBM Selectric typewriter.  I don't know the details of it, but as it's
electromechanical, I'm guessing it's probably pretty simple, and missing
exactly one line in between each block of text should be sufficient for my
purposes!  Thank you though, it's always good to be aware of what I'm doing
rather than blindly groping around with copious manual skimming, as is my
custom. :)

Thanks,
Zoe.

Back in 1989, I learned troff while working on the HP-UX Reference (HP's published man pages). I took the AT&T man macros and
used the vi editor to add comments so I could make sense of them.

I concluded the best way to learn troff is to put a comment on every
line in the entire package that explains what that line does (with
additional comments to explain particular macros, traps, etc.
without breaking anything.

It was very effective as a learning aid.  I had a standard AT&T
troff manual which was reasonably complete, but horribly arranged
for the user wanting to learn it.

Clarke