Re: [Groff] .mk/.rt not work across a page?

From: Mike Bianchi
Subject: Re: [Groff] .mk/.rt not work across a page?
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2014 19:32:46 -0400

On Fri, Sep 05, 2014 at 08:18:55PM +0000, Bjarni Ingi Gislason wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 04, 2014 at 11:25:22AM -0400, Mike Bianchi wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> > Oddly, this works as expected.
> >     .br
> >     .rs
> >     .nr Q \n[.ns]
> >     .sp |0.5i
> >     Q = \n[Q]
> >
> > Prints
> >     Q = 0
> > 0.5 inch down from the top edge.
> >

> > So there is some odd relationship between no-space and whether the line
> > buffer
> > has been flushed?
> >
> > What is going on?
>
>   You are not informed.  Read at least the first paragraph of chapter
> "3.� Page control" in the troff reference at "cm.bell-labs.com" (ftp or
> http), file "/cm/cs/cstr/54.ps.gz".

Thanks!

Yep.  There it is, in black and white.
The good news is the behavior observed _is_ documented.
I can even imagine why that is the proper behavior.

I've been using troff since the mid 1970s,
but I don't know if I would have ever found that if I were looking for it.

So tell me Bjarni, how did you _know_ that was there?

--
 Mike Bianchi
 Foveal Systems

 973 822-2085