Re: [Groff] PDFPIC macro

From: Keith Marshall
Subject: Re: [Groff] PDFPIC macro
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 20:28:02 +0100

On 21/09/14 15:29, Keith Marshall wrote:

>>> Good idea!

I've refactored the appropriate code, in src/roff/troff/input.cpp, with
a view to accommodating this; see patch attached.  While I've not yet
progressed any implementation for PDF handling, I have indicated the
point at which it should be invoked.  Okay to commit, thus far?

>> Yes, it is. Someone on the list has contacted me, with a view to
>> writing the code,
>
> Who might that be?  If it was off-list, then we have a problem -- we
> all need to be kept in the picture, with this sort of stuff.  I ask
> because...
>
>> and I have provided the perl version.
>
> I have not seen this, nor any pointer to it, yet I have already begun
> to explore possibilities at the C/C++ level.  I don't want to waste
> my time duplicating someone else's effort, but I would need some help
> to find my way through perl code.

I've now received this; thanks Deri.  Unfortunately, due to your terse
coding style, lack of comment annotation[*], and my unfamiliarity with
perl, it is incomprehensible to me; I will need a lot of hand holding,
if I am to attempt to translate it.  Alternatively, maybe someone else
could describe the algorithm in pseudo-code, and I could work from that.

[*] I do understand why you code in this style; unfortunately, it does
make it more difficult for others to follow the logic flow, especially
when they lack expertise in the coding language.

Keith.