Re: [Groff] order of PRINTSTYLE and other requests in mom

From: Ulrich Lauther
Subject: Re: [Groff] order of PRINTSTYLE and other requests in mom
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2014 09:58:04 +0200

On Sun, Oct 05, 2014 at 01:25:54AM -0400, Peter Schaffter wrote:
> Ulrich --
>
> PRINTSTYLE requires page dimensions in order to set the margins,
> and uses whatever is in effect.  PAGEWIDTH, PAGELENGTH and PAPER
> can, in fact, come before PRINTSTYLE.  However, I'm averse to the
> word "except" in documentation, so this is not mentioned.  I will,
> however, update the PAGEWIDTH section to mention the possible need
> for setting a line length.
>
> Final note: In the example you sent, PRINTSTYLE is unnecessary
> and probably shouldn't be there.  PRINTSTYLE is required only for
> document processing, not straightforward typesetting.
>
> Hope this clears things up.

Yes, thanks a lot. I now see that PRINTSTYLE is described in 5.3.3.2, i.e.
clearly as part of "5. DOCUMENT PROCESSING WITH MOM".

BTW, there are two typos:
  will not changes mom’s default paper size to A4, nor her default document
leading 14 points, whereas

should be
  will not change mom’s default paper size to A4, nor her default document
leading of 14 points, whereas

BTW2
I was expecting besides
        .PAPER A4
something like
        .PAPER A4 LANDSCAPE

but couldn't find any mention of "landscape" in the docu.

Of course, with
        .MAC LandScape END
        .  PAGE 842p 595p 2.5c 2.5c 2.5c 2.5c
        .END