[Groff] first steps for preparing a new release

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Groff] first steps for preparing a new release
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 07:13:02 +0200 (CEST)

I'm going to prepare a release.  While comparing the output of `make
dist' with the last tarball, I noted two problems – more to come, I
guess...

  . The `gideal' preprocessor is a stub only right now, not providing
    any real functionality, as far as I can see.  Interestingly, it
    has already version number 0.9.9 – I would rather expect 0.0.1...

    For this reason I suggest that it doesn't get added to the
    tarball.  Bernd?

  . I tried to test `gpinyin', but I get a fatal error:

      Can't locate IPC/System/Simple.pm in @INC
      (@INC contains:
        /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.16.2/i586-linux-thread-multi
        /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.16.2
        /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.16.2/i586-linux-thread-multi
        /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.16.2
        /usr/lib/perl5/5.16.2/i586-linux-thread-multi
        /usr/lib/perl5/5.16.2
        /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.16.2/i586-linux-thread-multi
        /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.16.2
        /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl
        .) at ./gpinyin line 55.
      BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./gpinyin line 55.

    I think I have a fairly normal Perl installation, and the `IPC'
    module is not installed – I specifically had to install the
    `perl-IPC-System-Simple' package on my openSuSE box.

    Not sure how this can be solved easily.  Of course, the best
    solution would be that gpinyin doesn't use the IPC module (for
    inter-process communication) at all – is it really necessary?  And
    is it portable to non-Unix hosts?  Having a preprocessor not
    working on Windows would be bad.

    The same problem is with `gperl'.

    If this IPC module is a must, what about making gpinyin emit the
    following on stderr:

        gpinyin: Perl module `IPC' not found.  Say

                   XXX

                 to download and install this module.

    Of course, this only works if there is a universal way to install
    perl modules, regardless of the platform...

      Werner