Re: [Groff] gpinyin problems

From: Bernd Warken
Subject: Re: [Groff] gpinyin problems
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2014 00:45:24 +0200

> Von: "Werner LEMBERG" <address@hidden>
>
> Processing this snippet
>
>   This is a test of
>   .pinyin start
>   Wo3 hen3 xi3 huan1 lue3 xing2.
>   .pinyin end
>   Pinyin syllables.
>
> I see two problems.
>
>   . gpinyin inserts an empty line before the Pinyin text.  This is
>     wrong.  It should simply continue the line.  Reason is missing `\'
>     characters after `\{' in the `.ie' clauses.

Ok, I fixed that already.

>   . The syllable `lue3' (which looks like `lǚ') gets translated to
>
>       l\o'\s-2\[:u]\s0\[ah]'
>
>     I consider this ugly.  What's the reason for making the `ü'
>     character smaller?  Please change this to move the tone mark
>     higher, instead of reducing the size of the base character.

You are right, it's not optimal, but it works.

Within nroff, it's possible to use quite normal Unicode characters.
But troff is very restricted for Unicode, so strange moving stuff is
needed.  At the first usage, I was not able to move the accents far
above the Umlaut, maybe later on.

As it works, I leave it for now even with ugliness.
About ugliness, there is a saying:
 `This devil is very ugly, but Baphomet is even uglier nevertheless!'
(see at Google: `german passport baphomet').

Baphomet was responable for GPL2 and is shown on the GNU flag,
but there, his All-seeing Eye is lacking.

Bernd Warken