Re: [Groff] Commits done

From: Ingo Schwarze
Subject: Re: [Groff] Commits done
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2017 20:43:41 +0100

Hi Carsten,

Carsten Kunze Heirloom wrote on Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 12:12:55AM +0100:

> the intended commits are done.

Thank you very much for these commits.

I just applied the same changes regarding mdoc(7) double quote
rendering (both in general and specifically for .%T) to mandoc,
such that the upcoming releases of groff-1.22.4, mandoc-1.14.1,
and mandoc-1.13.5 will again be compatible with each other.

> If nobody else intends to do late changes ;)

I checked all the usual places where i might have patches lying around
and found none except those that you just committed.

I'm aware that Peter and Bertrand still plan changes,
so of course i will test again at the proper time, but...

> the testing phase may start.

 ... for merging your commits, i had to "make dist" and update my
private copy of the OpenBSD port anyway, so effectively i did a
test cycle already, including the full suite of my mdoc/man/eqn/tbl
regression tests (over 400 test files) and a full run over the
complete corpus of OpenBSD and X.org manual pages.  I see no
regressions, but some improvments.

In general, groff seems to be in quite good shape, better than ever
during the last five years as far as my impression goes.  In
particular the build system is much more robust now and less prone
to races and other hiccups.  I don't think we ever needed fewer
local patches, and the handful that remain exist only to suite
local taste and are of little interest upstream.

Yours,
  Ingo