Re: [groff] Bold v Italics: Dawn of Justice

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [groff] Bold v Italics: Dawn of Justice
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2018 06:46:16 +0100 (CET)

Thanks, Brandon, for that list!

> [how I present the difficult issue to the reader]
> Because font styles are presentational rather than semantic,
> conflicting traditions have arisen regarding which font styles should be
> used to mark file or path names,
> environment variables,
> in-line literals,
> and even man page cross-references.

Perhaps adding a few words that the man page macros unfortunately
don't offer support for a `literal' tag like a typewriter font (even
if that gets eventually mapped to bold or italic), which enforces the
man page writer to directly use either bold or italic.

> Use italics
> for file and path names,
> for environment variables,
> for enumeration or preprocessor constants in C,

Personally, I would use bold for these three things, ...

    Werner