Re: [groff] 02/02: nroff.1.man: Make editorial fixes.

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: [groff] 02/02: nroff.1.man: Make editorial fixes.
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2019 01:03:04 +1000

[redirecting to discussion list]

At 2019-07-01T16:42:10+0200, Ingo Schwarze wrote:
> I know this is a really minor point - but i don't understand this change:
>
>    $ LC=C printf "a\nA\n" | sort
>    $ LC=en_US.UTF-8 printf "a\nA\n" | sort

Well, (1) LC is not a POSIX-standard locale-controlling variable, as far
as I know.  Is it a BSDism?

> The above holds independently of the operating system - i tested
> OpenBSD, Debian Linux, and Solaris, and on the latter two also
> with a couple of non-English locales.  Also,

(2) Your test case is insufficiently developed, since you have
characters from only one equivalence class.  Try this:

$ printf 'A\na\nb\nB\n' | LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8 sort

Then try it with LC_ALL=C.

> The only system i was able to find with "small before capital"
> is Solaris/illumos.  Linux appears to have no clear convention:
> most often, ordering is totally random in Linux manual pages.
>
> So why did you change the order?

To combat the chaos.