Re: Meeting Minute

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: Meeting Minute
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2019 10:23:13 +0100

> Could someone please explain to me in plain words what I will
> gain from doing it in the suggested way in stead of the why I
> had done it in the source that I posted??

Mainly consistency.  If you always want the line the same
width as the text width, and if you later decide to change
this width (maybe in a few months?), you will either have
to remember to make this change in two (or more) places
in your file

  .ll 16.1c                      \" need to change this
  [... other stuff ...]
  \l'16.1c'                      \" and this

or you can draw the line with the text width that is
currently in effect, which means that you need to update
only one place in your file

  .ll 16.1c                      \" need to change only this
  [... other stuff ...]
  \l'\n(.lu'

You could also define a register to hold this width, and
refer to it later in your document

  .nr LL 16.1c                   \" need to change only this
  [... other stuff ...]
  .ll \n(LLu
  [... other stuff ...]
  \l'\n(LLu'

(If you use this in a self-defined macro, remember to add
another backslash where it's used in the macro definition.)

Also, make sure you choose a register name that's not used for
other purposes by the macro package (if any) that you use.