Re: pic anomalies

From: Colin Watson
Subject: Re: pic anomalies
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2019 13:39:08 +0000

On Mon, Dec 30, 2019 at 01:39:38PM +0100, Ingo Schwarze wrote:
> An extremely small number of tests (14 tests grand total) is scattered
> all around the groff source tree, for example:
>
>  - contrib/gdiffmk/tests/gdiffmk_tests.sh
>  - contrib/hdtbl/examples/test-hdtbl.sh.in
>  - contrib/mom/examples/test-mom.sh.in
>  - src/roff/groff/tests/
>  - tmac/tests/
>
> You can run that suite with "make check" from the top directory,
> but it is not much use because it is very fragile.  For example,
> right now, after "git pull" and building from source, nine out
> of the fourteen tests fail for me on OpenBSD-current, so it's at
> least about 65% broken.

FWIW, I run these tests as part of the Debian package build and enforce
that they pass.  This is obviously only of limited use since it's only
after releases, but it's better than nothing.  (I would hope that
maintainers also run "make check" prior to release, perhaps via "make
distcheck", although I don't actually know.)

I agree that some of these tests tend to be somewhat fragile,
particularly those that look at properties of generated PDFs.  That
said, with current git master on Debian unstable, all the tests pass for
me right now.

--
Colin Watson                                       [address@hidden]