mail address@hidden

From: Doug McIlroy
Subject: mail address@hidden
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2020 13:48:25 -0500

Subject: " Re: man Macro Package and pdfmark"
> Just don't do that.  Never use low-level roff stuff in manual pages,
> don't even think about it.  This makes your manual pages non-portable.

I can understand why playing with private aspects of the macro
package may be unportable. And it would be poor style to use
low-level roff to do what the man macros can do. But I do not
see how portability concerns justify such a categorical
proscription.

As worded, the rule forbids one from using .de, .ds and .nr,
which may be useful in assuring consistency of usage within
a single man page. Heed the refrain in HMS Pinafore:
        What, never?
        No, never.
        What, never?
        Well, hardly ever.