Re: mom footnote belonging to a Heading

From: Heinz-Jürgen Oertel
Subject: Re: mom footnote belonging to a Heading
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2020 23:47:32 +0200

Hello Peter,

Am Montag, 30. März 2020, 18:26:22 CEST schrieb Peter Schaffter:
> On Mon, Mar 30, 2020, Heinz-Jürgen Oertel wrote:
> > Am Montag, 30. März 2020, 09:47:17 CEST schrieb Heinz-Jürgen Oertel:
> > > I did, and now it looks very good for me.  For now it's a good
> > > solution for me.
> >
> > I did not look close enough, only for the heading and the
> > footnote.  Sorry.  After a Heading now all paragraphs are indented
> > to the start of the centered heading, All first lines of a PP
> > paragraph are correct, but the following lines are intended.  This
> > changes after a a new page begins.  On the next page all paragraphs
> > are correctly formatted.  I have attached a picture.
>
> The only way I can reproduce this is by neglecting to pop the
> environment after a heading, which makes sense.  For various
> reasons, the workaround needs an indent to attach footnote markers
> to centered heading text.  If the environment isn't popped, the
> indent remains active.  Mom herself pops the environment after
> printing the page header, which is why the indent disappears after
> a page break.  The workaround cannot take care of popping the
> environment because, of necessity, it terminates with the "join to
> next line" character, \c, needed to attach the footnote marker.
>
> Can you confirm that you have used the following template style for
> entering all your headings after including the workaround?
>
> .HEADING 1 "Heading with footnote"
> .FOOTNOTE
> Footnote text
> .FOONOTE END BREAK
> .ev \" Pop env.
> .PP
> Paragraph text...
> .HEADING 1 "Heading without footnote"
> .br \" Add break
> .ev \" Pop env.
> .PP
> Paragraph text...

In the email
Am Sonntag, 29. März 2020, 22:04:57 CEST schrieb Peter Schaffter:
> Text after a HEADING or a HEADING+FOOTNOTE must be a PP, EPIGRAPH, QUOTE,
> BLOCKQUOTE, CODE, or another HEADING.  If not, insert
>
>   .br
>   .ev 0

you stated that only IF a HEADING was not followed by .PP I should insert both
.br
.ev
and I ignored it, because always .PP follows the HEADING 2.

Now I included at after all Headings, I have now  59,  and all looks much
better. I hope that, if looking at it tomorrow, it still will look OK :-)

> If you have and the problem persists, try explicitly setting the
> environment to zero, i.e. '.ev 0', after the HEADING.  If that still
> leaves you with indented paragraphs, I will have to see more of your
> source file to track down the problem.

Thanks for your help
Heinz

PS.
With all the effort it takes us, I'm sorry I tried a footnote on the headline.